A VPN is a computer network intended to link several computers together. It creates for this purpose a secure connection which preserves the anonymity of the users.
In Windows 10, it is possible to install a VPN and configure its settings. Installing a VPN allows you to benefit from several major advantages. Zoom on the process of installing and configuring a VPN on Windows 10.
Install a VPN In Few Steps Using a VPN Service App
- 1 Install a VPN In Few Steps Using a VPN Service App
- 2 How to Manually Configure a VPN in Windows 10
- 3 Connecting To The VPN Network
It is quite possible to manually configure your VPN on Windows 10 as I will show you below. That said, the easiest solution for computer newbies is to subscribe to a free or paid VPN service that will provide you with a Windows 10 app that will save you from having to configure your VPN connection.
To use a VPN offered by a VPN provider, you need to perform the following steps:
- Register on the site of a VPN service in order to have an account.
- Download the software for Windows 10. Example with the VPN provider Surfshark
- Launch the application by entering your credentials provided by your provider to connect to your VPN and enjoy your secure connection
- All you have to do is select which country you want to connect to the VPN in or let the app choose it automatically for you.
How to Manually Configure a VPN in Windows 10
As said previously, it is also possible to manually configure a VPN under Windows 10. This process takes place in two steps. This involves creating a VPN profile first and then connecting to the VPN network .
Creating a VPN Profile On Windows 10 Easily
Creating a VPN profile is essential when you do not have one on your computer. It is carried out in several steps and depends on the type of profile you want to create.
Create a VPN Profile Through Your Company
When the profile meets a professional need, you must go to the VPN settings located on the intranet site of your structure to retrieve the various connection information. If necessary, you can contact the IT section of the company.
Create A VPN Profile For Personal Use
For personal use , you will need to go through a VPN server. Here are the different steps to follow to configure your VPN on Windows 10, assuming that you have already retrieved the connection information to the VPN server (free or paid service)
- Right-click on the Windows 10 Start menu (at the bottom left of your screen) then on Settings
- Select the Network and Internet option then the VPN tab in the left menu;
- Windows 10 settings to access VPN configuration
- Click on Add a VPN connection , a VPN configuration window is displayed;
- Configure VPN in Windows 10
- Select Windows (built- in ) in the VPN Provider section
- Choose an easily identifiable name for the Connection Name.
- Enter the address of your VPN server in the Server name or address field .
- Enter your VPN credentials if necessary;
- Validate the information by clicking on the Save button .
Connecting To The VPN Network
After creating your VPN profile, you get a highly secure connection . To access the VPN network in Windows 10, follow the steps below:
- Start your computer and go to your Windows desktop;
- Go to the bottom right corner of the taskbar;
- Click on the Network icon then choose a VPN to connect to. You can also connect to it through the Windows 10 notification center (the kind of bubble at the far right of the taskbar).
- At this stage, there are two possibilities. In the first case, the Connect button is displayed.
- When the VPN offers you this option, click on the button and wait for the connection to be established.
In the second case, the VPN displays the settings . You must choose the VPN connection and then click on the connect button. The system may require your login credentials. In this case, provide all the necessary information.
WHY USE A VPN?
The acronym VPN is the abbreviation in English for Virtual Private Network . It is a private and virtual network . A connection to a VPN thus has several advantages:
- The navigation is secure
The VPN is impermeable to external users, so using this system prevents your data from leaking.
- The VPN network
ensures the anonymity of users – By consulting pages on the internet, you are leaving a digital imprint that can be traced back to you. A VPN hides my IP by an internet relay: it is the IP address of the VPN that is shown and not yours.
Allows you to bypass geographic limitations – Thanks to VPN antennas, you can easily change the geo location of your IP address. As a result, you can have access to services limited to a geographic area.
- VPN improves privacy
Encrypted system data prevents your browsing history from being tracked.5.The VPN is ideal for accessing free streaming sites such as those that allow you to watch movies or watch the Champions League live .
I believe you now understand how to install VPN on Windows 10. So go ahead and share this article with other PC holders online. Drop your comments below;